Nov 21, 2008

Why Do You Play Poker ?


I primarily play poker for the competitive aspect. I like the competition, and I want to be better so I can outsmart other players. (that part is ego, of course) The money involved is just about keeping score in a universally agreed upon manner. Frankly, I could play golf and bet on that, and that would still allow me the same reward, I suppose.

Knowing why I play poker is helpful when people suggest that I go play to loose my money. But somehow poker is nothin without math. Many people believe that poker is only a game of luck, but those who played for enough know that poker represents 25% luck and 75% knowledge. Frankly, sitting and playing a required number of hands on a table makes you read your opponents, which is verry important.

People will always be learning poker, and my priority is learning how to play well over crushing games to relieve the "fish" of their cash.

And that brings me back to why I play poker: because it's something infinitely complex that requires study and learning. As you get older you tend to get a little egotistical, like you've got it all figured out. It's nice to have a puzzle that requires you to constantly look at it, to figure out its secrets, and poker, and the poker players you play against, are all little puzzles.

Shuffle up and deal.

No comments: